Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What will I be doing for 2 years in Honduras????

I found out my main counterparts and the projects they’d like me to be doing! I’m really excited…sounds like I won’t have a lack of things to do. Here they are:
  1. Riecken Library: Here´s their website...They have a lot of programs at this site including teen clubs, early literacy and reading programs and a mobile library—my first thought was a bookmobile. But no—it’s literally the librarian walking out to the aldeas (little tiny, smaller than villages places where people live) with books to read to the kiddos. They also have baseball equipment and would like to start a team, so I can do that if I want to. AND an exciting perk with this particular type of library is that they use satellite internet…which means that not only will I have internet access in my site…I probably won’t have to ever pay to use it somewhere else. I might just have to find a house to rent within a few hundred yards of the library! ;o)
  2. High School (Colegio in Spanish): My main counterpart here would be the counselors working on improving their programs concerning reproductive health, values, self-esteem, etc. That whole slew of workshops that they give dealing with all things related. The colegio also said that it’s possible to get involved in their sports teams if I was interested.
  3. Catholic Church: Most people are afraid of working with a religious organization…and I had my preconceived notions, but I’m actually more okay with it than some people. And what this church does is really unique. The current (newish) priest is apparently really young and active and involved in the community. So there’s a building attached to the church where there’s room for some of the HS youth to stay during the week in order to attend school. The youth that are there are from really poor families out in the aldeas. They have a small screen printing business and would like help improving that or coming up with other small business ideas in order to generate more funds to be able to provide housing for more students. They are aware that we’re Youth Development volunteers and not Business or Municipal Development and don’t have much (or any) business skills, but they’d still like to see how we can work something out. The main thing at the church would be working with the youth on afterschool activities and doing some workshops on self-esteem, life skills, etc.
  4. Centro Básico: This is a school that serves 1st-9th grade out in an aldea with about 300 students total, so a good sized school. It also has Kinder, which I can get involved in but I’m not obligated to. It sounded like they wouldn’t be one of my main counterparts, but would be excited for anything I could do. They’re open to a lot of things and would appreciate any time I could spend there. One thing they definitely wanted was to start a school garden and teach kids (parents?) how to have a home garden. Other projects they mentioned was parenting school, English with the teachers, environmental education, sports and dental hygiene. It sounds like if I wanted there’s a lot I could do there! The only drawback is that it’s not right in town. I was told it’s about an hour walk one way…but on the bright side they told me the walk has great views. And they did mention it would be about 30 mins on a bike…which is good news. Because of funding cuts, not everyone that wants a bike will get one paid for anymore. Volunteers that needed one for transportation were able to ask for the funds…now its being more limited based on real need. So it sounds like they’ll be buying me one!
  5. Health Center: Lastly…a health center! Which I’m excited to work with…I was hoping to be tied to one somehow. They want me to start a Pregnant Women’s Club (I was told that most would be adolescents). They’d really like me to do more than just prenatal health, etc…especially since these women are more than likely pretty young. They’d like to see some sort of activities that would be fun and encourage the mothers to still do things that are fun and they like…that just because they’re pregnant/a mom doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy things. My other though is some sort of crafts like t-shirt making, jewelry, maybe some sort of knitting/sewing/handicraft something. I heard of another volunteer that started a women’s exercise club, which would be good to do some sport of physical activity with them…then have a club for after the babies are born. I can imagine how they feel about their bodies afterwards, so it would be a really cool thing to do.
I’m pretty excited by the sounds of things. I didn’t get much more information nor did I bother to ask. I figure I’ll find out in a few more days. Other people dug for information about what part of the country, if it’s a big or small site, how far away is the closest volunteer and/or city, etc. I’m not too worried about that stuff…I’m just glad to know what I’ll be doing. It also helps prevent me from trying to guess where I’m going; then be wrong. There’s already been one person who had convinced herself that she would be in the west up in the mountains. Another was sure that she was going to a certain site…then I got some info from the volunteer I visited last month and it’s not. As I was telling her the first person was in the car with me and realized it was her counterparts and job descriptions…so both were a little upset b/c they had their minds set on these other places. Some people have a pretty good idea between the description, counterparts and talking with current volunteers and are able figure it out. I welcome the surprise on Monday.

2 comments:

Mary D. said...

Lenore,

Thank you for mentioning the Riecken libraries in your post! We have 53 lending libraries with free Internet access in Honduras (and 9 in Guatemala) and everyone is welcome to use them -- so please stop in as much as you want.

The libraries, run by community boards and with a lot of help from local volunteers, do truly remarkable things. We've got teenagers involved in long-distance debate (via Skype) in most of the libraries. We've got one library that runs a book club in a prison. Several others conduct children's story hours in indigenous languages.

The Riecken Foundation country director in Teguci is a former Peace Corps volunteer!

We were thrilled to see that you put our web address in your post. Unfortunately, the link goes to an old site. Our new url is www.riecken.org.

Good luck in Honduras!

Best regards,

Mary Dempsey
Executive Director
Riecken Foundation

Anonymous said...

Hey Lenore,

That all sounds so much fun! I'm jealous, those projects sound like they'll keep you busy and it will be nice to work directly with all those different people. Just wanted to say hi, keep in touch!